HOW TO GET TO THE U.S.
There are generally two (2) types of visa categories:
- Non-immigrant visas (temporary visas): B (visitor ~6 months); E treaty trader ( 2-5 years, must be renewed); F (student ~ duration of study); L visa (intracompany transfer); R (religious).
- Immigrant visas (“Greencard” or “GC”): generally, 3 categories: 1) employment based; 2) family based; 3) investment based.
WHY EB-5 REGIONAL CENTER
All types of visas have requirements that must be met (and such options may not be available for certain individuals). Non-immigrant visas are temporary and do not give the same rights to individuals as a Greencard.
An EB-5 Investment visa allows an individual to apply directly for a Greencard based on an investment requirement.
An individual can apply for a EB-5 visa through an individual petition, or through a USCIS Designated Regional Center (“RC”).
1. Individual Petition:
In addition to the EB-5 investment amount requirements, the following apply:
- The individual must be involved in the managerial and day-to-day duties of the business.
- This involvement may not be practical for all investors.
- If the business is not successful (if the job, social, and economic requirements) is not met, the conditions may not be successfully removed in 2 years and the Greencard status jeopardized
2. RC Petition:
- The individual investor does not have to engage in managerial day-to-to-day.
- The investment is usually pooled with other investments (including independent investors that are not investing for GC purposes), and the risk reduced.
- The project (business venture) is more likely to succeed and thus, the removal of conditions more likely to be approved.
- The investors normally receive dividends and profits on their investment (depending on the profitability).
- The investor does not have the burden of keeping records, handling the evidentiary documents for job creation, investment, catering social and economic benefits; for submission to USCIS.
- All evidentiary adn supporting documents (including economic studies, financial documents, etc.) are completed by the project and RC.
- Direct process to a U.S. Greencard.
- Benefits to family. Investors, their spouses, and children under 21 years of age can all receive U.S. green cards with a single investment.
- Education. Green card holders may attend U.S. schools and universities at the same cost as U.S. citizens.
- Flexibility. Live, work, and retire anywhere in the U.S., and enjoy the benefits of a U.S. resident.
- Healthcare. Gain access to high quality healthcare available to U.S. citizens.
- Passive Investment. Third parties manage your investment and all aspects of the project.
- No direct management required. The investor does not have to manage it’s investment or run the day-to-day operations of the project/ business. The investor is free to work, travel or engage in other legal activities.
- Freedom to live anywhere in the U.S. The investor does not have to be in the same location as the investment/project. If the project is in Michigan, the investor is free to Iive anywhere in the U.S.
- No Language Requirement. Proficiency in English is not necessary to participate in the EB-5 Program.